The real deal... one day at a time.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Many habits, much to fix...


 many habits... so much time
Cross post from Mindless eating method...
One of the things I am appreciating today is that I will be able to conquer many habits with this program over time.  I started out with the 3 month plan, but I have a feeling that if I stick with it and let the gentle 'mindless' program work with and for me-- I'll be sticking around.
For the 3 or 4th night in a row (since I began this) I have NOT brought food upstairs, have not eaten in bed and have thusly, cut way back on after dinner snacking.
I am noting that there are other bugaboos that I'll need to deal with-- for example: I'll say out loud to myself "I don't eat when I am standing up!!" and then stop what I am picking at.
In addition: I am struggling with some stress right now and was at work today, noshing much of the day (can you say -- 'all day grazer'?) So: while I'd say that 85% of the time, I am in control of what I'm eating at work-- there is that other percent of the time when I am eventually going to need to work on a rule of NOT eating at my desk and serving myself at my conference table (I am lucky to have one in my office.)
Bottom line: there are so many ways to take this-- but I am definitely handling a HUGE impact issue from the start.  The snacking post dinner time has been cut to the barest minimum (I did have a small and special little dessert 'bite' that I made for my son and me-- but we ate it at the table and on tiny little espresso cup saucers.  It was a square of ghiradelli 72% chocolate, about a teaspoon of peanut butter topped with a stove top roasted marshmallow... smore without the graham cracker. Mmmm.  But that's it!
Nothing more tonight.
In the past, I might have returned to the kitchen at least 1 or 2 more times, and I definitely would have put together a little 'snack bag' for my bedside table. Ugh!!! (it would have had a piece of cheese and some chips and then I would have eaten 3 Ghiradelli chocolate squares as well.  As you can see-- this was hundreds of calories each night and I don't think I am replacing those-- so I expect to peel off some pounds over time with a consistent approach.
The other super power of mindless eating for me is sitting at the table-- it has confronted eating for other reasons than food.  When you only eat at the table, and limit distractions at that table, low and behold, eating gets more focused and you eat less.  Crazy!!

1 comment:

  1. I think you are on to something here. Keep letting us know how it goes, I am trying some of your tips.

    ReplyDelete