The real deal... one day at a time.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mindless eating, some great lessons!

I went to the mindless eating site (by Brian Wansink) and am using a bunch of advice I have gotten from their membership tools.
Quite amazing-- and many things that might be intuitive for a lot of us.

I took their quiz and chose one 'priority' issue to deal with first: "All Day Grazing and Snacking."
The translation for me is truly "Grazing and Snacking AFTER dinnertime"-- but the solutions remain the same.

I committed to eating only a my table (not in my car, upstairs anywhere in my house, not the basement, not the couch and NOT in front of the TV!), talking to my husband about what I'm doing and blogging it, and doing something DIFFERENT than what I typically do during 'snack' time.

I am happy to report that after just 3 days, this 'mindless' approach (as in, dealing with the mindless eating that is one's undoing by focusing on 1 bad habit at a time) is working nicely.  I am feeling returning confidence, my clothes are feeling the slightest bit looser, and the scale, which had shot up a few scary pounds, is coming back down...

So, I move onward, as this updated approach is really helping me get my mojo back and it FEELS so right.  I can tell I've chosen a good habit to break because it is uncomfortable to NOT snack elsewhere in my house-- and frankly, I am tempted to eat a lot less when I have to face myself and my family at the kitchen table.
Translation: I now know for certain that I have been using food to entertain and soothe myself... and once I require myself to sit at a table and eat, it is less 'fun' and more eat for fuel (enjoy a nice meal, all the same, but so much less to it) than anything else.

I highly recommend reading up on Brian Wansink if you don't know about him... I will try to link some articles about him and his research-- he is NO gimmick, he is the real deal and has done tons of research on how to help mould your environment and your lifestyle to support ongoing healthy habits.

Note: his program is no magic bullet-- and he anticipates that a person following his program without a specific and set diet plan will lose a pound or two per month.... but if you know me well: You will know that I wouldn't ask for more than that.  I have always believed that slow and steady wins the race-- and I simply do not have it in me to crash diet anymore.
I am no long 27 years old and looking for approval of others by being one of the thinner girls-- now I am doing this for me, my health and my wardrobe!!  So, onward I go.

Yay!!

3 comments:

  1. that is a great idea..I think I will steal it..only eating at the table---its such a duh..but your right I have moved and snack away from the table..sometimes I do it right in the pantry--for shame

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice...I gotta go to the site right NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! It is so hard to break those habits. I don't know how I got lucky enough to be free of my own habits -- especially the sweets after dinner thing, I never want it any more. Miracle. But I'm not perfect. I think my food calories have been replaced with wine calories....hmmmm. But I have not gained an ounce!

    Anyway, I think this sounds just perfect for you. Not a diet. In a way, intuitive eating, because it forces you to get in touch with your true hunger and emotional eating. Stick with it and good luck!

    ReplyDelete