The real deal... one day at a time.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Re-post from Mindless eating blog


** Promised link to the site and disclaimer from me:

http://www.mmethodeating.com/

There you go-- I have to say, I did pay for a 3 month starting membership, because I've heard a lot about Wansink, and even had a nutritionist quote to me about his methods some time back.  I considered getting his book on Mindless Eating to guide me-- but I read reviews online and learned that the book is a bit more academic rather than a guide to applying his program in real life. So, instead: I bought the online program, which gave me an assessment and some key tools to apply the tools.
IF you are ready, willing and able to try to apply some psychological steam to your efforts (it is not an 'intuitive eating' program at all!!!) - I recommend it, but please know that I am not endorsing it, nor am I working for this site in any way. I will have no gain if you decide to go ahead and try it out with me EXCEPT that I'd love to know if anyone is doing it so we can support each other.

That said: since I am so into using the site, I am also posting a blog on there-- and rather than rewriting posts for this blog, I figure I'll just cross post when I do blog on that site.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just begun my mMethod eating program- but I have been a 'dieter' and weight watcher my whole life.
I can feel this program's efficacy in the discomfort that I am in based on the habit shift that I am working on.  Among my 3 identified eating issues to start with, I was noted to be a 'Snack Grazer'... and it was really dead on with a bit of a twist.
I don't nosh all day-- but I have come to be eating about 2/3rd's of my calories between the time I return home during the week and before I go to bed. And let me admit right here: even eating IN bed (almost nightly.) Bleh.  From the outside looking in, I really think that is a disgusting habit (sorry to those who struggle with it as well....I just really want to stop this altogether.)
Anyhow: I believe that the weekend will be another issue altogether- as I am less busy and confronted with food and food situations more often (another of my problems is that I am a celebrations eater, but following this method, I am working on the snacking first.)
The bottom line is that since I have stood firm on the one solution I made (though there are others too) to abstain from eating in bed and upstairs in my house: I have noticed my scale begin to drop and my confidence rise.  This method works, and I've only just begun.
Another thing I've noticed is how uncomfortable it makes me to NOT eat upstairs and in bed-- and it is taking some effort to avoid habitually doing it.  Even further: when I got frustrated with my 8 year old last evening (he is having some difficulty going to sleep at night that we are working on right now)-- I just wanted to have a snack afterwards.  But I knew that I'd have to go to the dark kitchen and sit at the table and eat it by myself.  I didn't want "THAT" snack-- I wanted the comfort of the snack where I am sitting in bed or in a chair, reading or vegging out and eating.  NOPE.  I avoided it.
So, I continue onward with the solutions that make me feel  bit uncomfortable and challenge my well worn habits-- and I see a definite, if small and significant shift. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I so see myself in that image you just wrote about. I am really working on it but I love your idea of eating at the table and I started it last night...I was lonely in bed..without my snack last night.

    ReplyDelete