The real deal... one day at a time.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Protein rich, band friendly recipe-- breakfast style

Hi-- I should have taken a picture before I ate my breakfast, it made me 'band proud!'
Here is my recipe for egg white salad with bacon 'crackers'-- this is simple and quick to prepare and yummy.

Egg white salad (makes about 2 servings-- my measurements may not be perfect, so don't use them as exact, they are estimates)
about 1 cup of egg whites (can buy egg whites already separated from the store-- super easy, no yolk waste!)
a few shakes of garlic powder to taste
dill weed (dried)
mustard
reduced calorie mayonnaise
salt/ pepper to taste

Bacon crackers:
Center cut bacon (thick cut best)

To prep the egg white salad:
Pour egg whites into a microwave save bowl and add a dash or two of garlic powder
Cook in microwave on high for about 1 minute
(Carefully check about halfway through and again at 1 minute)

The goal for these egg whites is for them to be firm but not dried out...

When done, carefully remove firmed up egg whites from microwave (they are HOT) and scoop into a mixing bowl.  Add about 1 tablespoon of reduced calorie mayonnaise, 1 tsp or so of mustard, and a few shakes of dill week. Dash of salt and Pepper to taste.
Use fork to combine and 'chop' to a egg salad chop consistency.
Set aside or cool in fridge... it is good warm or cold.

Bacon crackers
Cook 2 slices of center cut bacon on high in microwave for 2 minutes.  While being careful not to burn the bacon, cook as much fat off of the bacon as possible for a crisped and 'cracker' like consistency (basically making it as crisp as a chip or cracker.)

Enjoy your bacon 'crackers' and egg-white salad together-- the 'crackers' can be used to scoop the egg salad up. Mmmm!

Note: this would be a nice and complete breakfast with a few strawberries or blueberries thrown in for fiber.  As for me: today I just had the egg white salad and bacon... fruit a bit later.

Feeling righteous.

As a note: I have found in my 'diet' travels that it is best to find the foods that work (and most diets don't take the band limitations into consideration.) So, I'm carefully trying to ensure that I can eat what I prepare-- because if I make myself something to eat, with good intentions of having a healthy meal, and then I can't get it down or have difficulty with it-- I am prone to getting aggravated and then eating the WRONG things.
I am quite the flawed human, y'all.

So, as I said above, this recipe worked great for me this morning-- and I am glad that I had great protein and a flavorful breakfast that I feel good to have eaten. (Yes, I suppose there are healthier choices than bacon-- but two slices of center cut bacon are hardly taking me to nutrition hell.)

Off to shower! (Did about a 45 minute walk this am and it is hot and humid here-- got sweaty!)

3 comments:

  1. Gurl, we are ALL flawed humans!!! I think this sounds delish, and I've got some egg whites in my frig right now...I'm going to try this tomorrow!! Yummo! Hope you're having a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's destiny for me to try egg white salad... Was recommended from trader joe's now your receipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. love dill in eggs :D like the idea of using the bacon as a cracker...but then I like the idea of using bacon for so many reasons...bacon tastes good :D

    ReplyDelete